Make Sure Your Roof Is Ready For The Upcoming Ottawa Winter
Ottawa winters can be brutal. The cold can be unbearable, and the amount of ice and snow that arrives keeps us shoveling and salting constantly—at least, it certainly feels that way, sometimes. Ottawa roofing has to hold up to the rigors of the season, especially as ice starts to build up. If your roof has any damage and needs repairs, though, even the smallest problem can lead to further complications such as water damage and increased energy bills.
What To Look For
Ottawa roofing companies can help with roof inspections and repairs if you are concerned about the condition of your roof. To avoid any winter damage to your roof and home, consider these simple roof inspection tips before the snow and ice are here to stay:
- Check Your Shingles: Is your roof missing any shingles? Missing shingles can lead to leaky roofs and water damage in your home. Water from rain, ice, and snow will easily enter from your roof without proper shingle cover. Are your shingles in good condition? If your asphalt shingles are weathered, their granules will have fallen off. Weathered shingles do not efficiently protect roofs from the elements.
- Check For A Sagging Roof: If your roof is noticeably sagging, there is probably structural damage from the elements. A sagging roof can lead to further structural damage or even collapse. This is something that absolutely needs to be addressed—no matter the season!
- Check The Roofing Sealant: Roofing sealant keeps water from seeping in and through roofing materials. Without this sealant, your roof is at risk of water damage, which can lead to sagging (as mentioned before) and structural issues. If the sealant is weathered or cracked, it should be re-sealed to ensure your roof is ready for the ice and snow.
- Check For Hazards Nearby: Old trees on or near your property can get weighed down with snow, causing limbs to break and fall. If there are any tree limbs hanging over your home—healthy or otherwise—it’s worth trimming them now before they’re frozen solid.
- Check The Gutters: Make sure to clean out all debris—such as twigs and leaves—from your gutters to ensure that water from melting snow and ice drains quickly and properly. Hosing your gutter will also help clean any residue after you’ve removed the debris.
- Check The Attic: A properly-insulated attic will keep the warm air in your home and prevent the formation of ice dams on your roof. You should make sure the insulation is not blocking any roof vents to ensure proper venting, letting cold air out without losing the warmth.
Get Repairs Done Early
A simple roof inspection will do wonders when it comes to preparing for the winter. Winterizing will save you from potential costly damage and heat loss. If you notice that your roof needs repairs, contact an Ottawa roofing company to get the work done before the winter starts. A secure roof will protect you and your home from even the harshest winter weather.